Saturday, March 14, 2009

A picture speaks a thousand words

If you happen to see this advertisement in the MRT, do you know what message is the company trying to convey? It may be thought as rather provoking, and many may misunderstood the actual meaning of it.





When the words are accompanied by a photo of the burger, I am sure everyone would understand the meaning of it, and the actual message that the company is trying to get across to the consumers.

I believe, everyone has heard about the phrase “a picture speaks a thousand words”. Therefore, words itself are definitely not enough to convey message across to the other party. Visual aid is an important aspect in communication and it helps to reduce miscommunication between both parties.

I had this experience, where I had a miscommunication with my one of my close friend, and resulted in a cold war. Another close friend of mine understood the whole situation and drew a picture to help to clear the misunderstandings towards my friend. Below is the scenario which had occurred.

Scene 1: I (MP) was not in good mood that day and hence, I did not talk too much that day. My close friend Van, thought that I was angry with her and so, she did not dare to speak to me. The cold war begins …


Scene 2: Van went to find another friend called Ting, but she looks more troubled. Therefore, Van did not dare to bother her much too.


Scene 3: Van had no choice but to look for the next best alternative who was KT. Van had told him about a secret of mine, which I had told her specifically to keep it from KT. KT promised to keep it a secret.



Scene 4: The next day, KT came and laughed at me about my secret. I felt betrayed by Van and hence, more misunderstandings arise between us.


Scene 5: KT who is an insensitive guy still do not understand what did he do wrongly. He laughed at me and ask me question about that secret Van had told him. He thought it was just a normal question. I felt more insulted and more miscommunications arise.

Scene 6: A humorous ending asking me to forgive Van.


After looking at the drawings, I laughed and forgive Van. Before receiving, the drawings, my only thought was how Van had betrayed my trust, and I did not want to give her a chance to explain herself as I was too angry with her.
However, with the drawings, it certainly helps to brighten up one’s mood, and aid in clearing the misunderstandings.


Therefore, if you ever make someone angry, I think the best solution would be to draw some interesting drawings that would cheer up the person. For example, if someone is angry with you for being late for appointment, maybe you can show him/her the picture below.

Do you agree with me that the use of picture is an effective communication tools?

5 comments:

  1. Yes, absolutely! I can understand how you could forgive her so quickly and easily over those drawings. They are really cute. Thanks for sharing your experience because it's an idea I may copy if I happen to meet with any misunderstandings. I guess the pictures also helped you to look at your situation froma an outsider's perspective, so you were able to understand the gravity of the issue better and from your friend's point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The drawings are cute. :-) Thanks for sharing with us. Your blog posts have been personal and it is nice to read your posts.

    The comic that your friend gave drew for ou does help to enhance your written description about your experience. However, if the pictures were clearer, that would be better though!

    On the other hand, I feel that I would not be able to understand your story if there were no written descriptions about each picture.

    Therefore, I would say that pictures enhance the communicative property of words; and the other way round is also true. An outstanding print media is produced when the right picture is matched with the right words. I believe this is the goal of all print advertisements. Advertisement designers have to figure out a perfect match of pictures and words, so that they complement each other, helping to bring a target message across to the audience. And the burger advertisement you shared is a good example of a perfect match.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi MP,

    Very hilarious post. Totally agree that a picture can paint a thousand words, what you showed is a very good idea to appease humans of the fairer ooops opposite sex. Heh heh, to be fair, I think it might work for guys as well! Will keep the series of pictures in mind. Great post!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi MP,

    I think you have come up with an interesting way to communicate with each other when all else fails. The comic strips, added with the comments have paint a clear picture on how the misunderstanding happens and was a effective way to apologise to the other party.
    The burger is gigantic, wished it was in my mouth...

    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. I agree that picture speaks a thousand words. My good friend would always draw cartoons to encourage me and the pictures really did wonders!

    ReplyDelete